I Made Deodorant...

13 March 2019


6 years ago I would have rolled my eyes at anyone who told me that they made their own deodorant.

Deodorant is just another one of those things that you don't really think too much about when you buy and use it everyday. But if you really stop and think about what exactly you're slathering on your skin everyday for years and what happens to all those plastic containers once you throw them out... I don't know it makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Anyway all I'm saying is that even if you do roll your eyes at home made deodorant, you probably get why people move away from the store bought stuff more and more.

This one I whipped up using really basic ingredients: shea butter, coconut oil, beeswax, cornstarch, baking soda and essential oils for smell. I melted everything together and poured it into a jar and presto, deodorant! I eyeballed this recipe and just used a little less beeswax to make it more spreadable with my fingers.

Does it work you ask? For me, yes! Surprisingly well! If you went from using Degree deodorant to this it probably wouldn't work that well at first. I've been using store bought natural deodorants for a few years now but I found initially my body really needed a good 2 week transition time from drugstore deodorant to natural deodorant. Apparently your arm pits go through a bit of a detox. It's a thing!

Does it work as good as an antiperspirant you would buy at the store? Of course not! But I'm willing to compromise a bit (having to give my armpits a little wash every night before bed) if it means I can feel good about what I'm putting on my skin and not having yet another plastic thing to throw out.




2 comments

© Here at Home. Design by Fearne.