Painting on the Walls

27 September 2018


When we first bought our house the entire thing was painted this dark salmon colour (ugh!). We ended up painting all the walls in the entire house white. Not even "cloud white" but straight-outta-the-can eggshell white and I loved it! We have a very...hmmm....eclectic (?) style so having white walls means there is no colour scheme and everything we put on the walls just magically works. It's great!

You know what else is great about white walls? It's very easy to paint on them. I don't know why it took me so long to get to the idea of painting directly on the walls. When I first learned about Maud Lewis, oh man, was that ever an eye opener for me. "This woman just paints on every surface of her tiny house?" I was so inspired! I remember watching Maudie and mentioning to Dave "Wow, I really want to paint on our walls now" and he (surprisingly) said "yeah, go for it!"

So when I had the house to myself for a few hours I just did it. I stared at the wall with my paints on a plate, totally second guessing the idea (what if it looked bad?!) and I just started painting. I painted some flowers by the coat rack and loved it so much I did some above the light switch as well. I kept telling myself, "well if it's weird or Dave hates it I'll just paint it white again".

 This planter I saw on Pinterest 

Then I watched the film 20th Century Women and the main characters house! It was so colourful and the door frames were painted bright colours! I paused the movie, drove myself to Micheals to pick up some bright yellow acrylic paint and I came home and painted the doorframe to the kitchen. And then I thought "well I've got all this paint still..." and painted the window ledges around the house too.

 Ooko I copied from a library book

I don't have any tattoos but people who have them are always saying you get one and you immediately want another. I feel this way about painting on my walls. I'm itching to do something in kitchen now...



Post a Comment

© Here at Home. Design by Fearne.