Hello Again!

14 September 2018


Hello again! I've really been feeling the urge to write and blog again lately so I thought I'd pop in here and spruce things up a bit :)

The past few weeks have been very full around here. Dave went back to work, our wood stove got installed (!!), we did a tiny reno (read: put up shelves) in our kitchen, were handed down Dave's moms piano that had to get moved in (!!) and the kids and I are settling into a different routine with just the three of us during the day now. 

We've been spending lots of time at home lately. I've been trying really hard to let the kids be and what a difference this has made in our days! Being the one staying at home with them, I've always felt this pressure to be doing something with them all the time and really planning out our whole day. Which, surprise, left me feeling like I had no time to do my own thing and the kids were constantly nagging me to entertain them.

I hesitate to use the word ignore, but essentially for most of the day now I just get on with my own things and let them be. If they're safe, and not destroying the house (the bar is low here people lol) then I just let them be. Even if that means they've pulled out all the crayons and dumped them on the carpet to find the perfect shade of pink, I just let them be. To be honest, sometimes I just have to leave the room because I find it so hard not to interrupt them and shout "Gah! Don't do that!".

What a change! I've noticed the kids will play with each other so much more, and they've become so much more engaged in their own little worlds and activities. It's so lovely to see! Plus I've been able to read SO MUCH more and work away on my own projects. Instead of waiting for the kids to go to bed to have some "me time" I just do it during the day.

What a revelation!

This makes feel so optimistic about the coming winter and spending more time together inside :)

---------------------

This book was really inspiring to back off and let the kids be : The Idle Parent by Tom Hodgkinson 

Post a Comment

© Here at Home. Design by Fearne.